|Hydrographic Survey Technician Internship|
|Job ID: 14483|
||USA - NY|
||DOE per Year|
|Apply for this job / Send email
to employer |
Paid, full-time, 12-month duration with possible extensions.
NOAA Navigation Response Branch operates seven (7) navigation response teams (NRT’s) based regionally. NRT’s generally consist of a three person team comprised of a team lead and two technicians. Teams provide hydrographic survey services to NOAA’s maritime constituents. In addition, they conduct Electronic Navigational Chart (ENC) verification and emergency hydrographic response surveys following natural or other disasters which threaten the Nation’s maritime transportation system. NRT’s operate aboard 28 foot Sea-Ark Commander survey vessels outfitted with side scan sonar, echosounder and in some cases multibeam sonar. NRT’s are responsible for hydrographic data collection and submission of data to NOAA’s Atlantic Hydrographic Branch.
Will serve as a hydrographic survey technician aboard one of NOAA’s NRT’s. Will become proficient in NOAA hydrographic survey specifications and deliverables, hydrographic field procedures, data acquisition and processing software and methodology. Will become proficient in launch operations and the mechanical maintenance of the survey launch and office equipment including the processing trailers.
Will remain on travel (per diem) for the vast majority of the assignment, will be required to perform sea duty (daily operations within 20nm of land on board NRB vessels ranging from 28 to 56 feet in length), and may be required to sail aboard a NOAA hydrographic ship for a period not to exceed 30 days per year. Will be required to attend various NOAA training for hydrographic survey including annual conferences as directed.
The following are required:
• Ability to relocate on short notice and remain on travel indefinitely. (New York, NY – initial station)
• Physically able to work aboard a small vessel that is underway in the ocean and perform manual tasks as necessary to keep the NRT operational.
• Ability to work in a small team environment with minimal supervision.
• US Citizenship
Any/All of the following are considered desired but not defined as required:
• Experience in operating/maintaining small boats.
• Experience in hydrographic survey
• Familiarity with GIS (ArcView/Mapinfo), AutoCad
• Familiarity with survey acquisition and processing software (Hypack, Caris HIPS/SIPS).
• Familiarity with NOAA nautical products (NOAA Charts/ENC’s, US Coast Pilot)
• Experience in hydrographic survey and hydrographic survey collection hardware (Side Scan Sonar, Multibeam Sonar, Dual-Frequency Single Beam Sonar, GPS, CTD sensors, Sound Velocity Sensors)
BS/BA or higher in Engineering/Mathematics, other “hard science”, or equivalent.
Submit resume to ERT’s Career Opportunities Web Page at: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA8/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=ERT&cws=1
Earth Resources Technology, Inc. (ERT)
ERT is an equal opportunity employer.